As I work in the Windows division, a letter made its way to my office: a customer mail sent to one of our senior leaders that asked…
“How do I set up Internet Explorer to be my default web browser?”
Simple question you may say, but unfortunately in this case, the customer noted that they were unable to find the information on our web sites or using online help. So, after first apologizing for the difficulty the customer had in locating the information, I then provided the following steps on how to configure your PC to use Internet Explorer your default web browser.
The following Microsoft Knowledge Base Article answers the question: How to Make Internet Explorer the Default Web Browser (kb 284456, as located through Live Search).
For Internet Explorer 3.x, 4.x, 5.x…
- Open Control Panel and double-click Internet Options.
- Click the Programs tab.
- Click to select the Internet Explorer should check to see whether it is the default browser check box.
- Click OK.
- Start Internet Explorer and when you are prompted to make it the default browser, click Yes.
- Launch “Internet Explorer”.
- If a message is displayed asking if you want Internet Explorer to be your default browser, click “Yes”. That’s all you need to do.
If a message does not appear, go to the next step.
- Click the “Tools” button, and then click “Internet Options”.
- Click the “Programs” tab, and then click “Make default”.
- Click “OK”, and then close Internet Explorer. Internet Explorer is now the default web browser.
For future, immediate self help, you can often find answers using the Live Search site at http://search.live.com/, http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/cu_inventory, or visit the main Microsoft Support page at http://support.microsoft.com/. In the US, customers may also use one of the free customer support features such as real-time chat at http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/cu_sc_more_master#tab1.
Microsoft is absolutely focused on delivering the best customer experience. We’ll always have more work to do, but we’re confident about delivering the best set of experiences for our customers and partners now and in the future. It’s so important for us to hear from customers using our products, so please send us feedback on what we’re doing well and areas for improvement.